Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy THANKSGIVING!

Lately I've been hearing people refer to this upcoming wondrous holiday as Turkey Day. That is not okay. That's as bad as people calling Christmas "Xmas." It's just not okay. It's Thanksgiving and Christmas people. Got it? Now that I've clarified that....I'm going to do the same thing as last year and write random things I'm thankful for:

1. My church calling. I get to pick the Hymns for church every Sunday. I love it so much.
2. An awesome immune system. I rarely get sick which is quite remarkable considering I live in the tundra.
3. Free exercise classes here on campus. I'm becoming quite the Zumba-ite. Zumbite? Zumban?
4. My job that will start in January. I'm really excited about that.
5. Twilight series. Just kidding. I am thankful for books though.
6. Orange Julius. Homemade. This is the latest fad of my apartment.
7. Big snow boots that would make Napoleon proud. They keep me from falling. Yay.
8. Grooveshark.com. Music on demand? Yes please.
9. There aren't any Herdmans here.
10. The Hunger Games trailer looks awesome. Now that Harry Potter is over and Twilight is wacko I need a new movie series. I think Hunger Games will deliver.
11. My Sudoku book that helps me stay awake in class when I'm sometimes struggling.
12. It's scarf season. I love scarves.
13. I think I'm out of the blogging slump I had for a while. We'll see how long it lasts this time.
14. Midnight walks in the snow. Followed of course by Hot Chocolate.
15. I'm going home in a few hours for Thanksgiving and EVERYONE in my family will be there! I'm very thankful for that!

5 comments:

  1. I agree it should not be 'turkey day.' And hurray for number 15!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of those. Except for four. And six. Also, I don't know how to wear scarves. But hey---Thanksgiving is almost here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wrote a bit about Thanksgiving today.
    Here is the link.

    But I will also like to share a little something I learned that made me feel better about the term "xmas." The letter x has been a symbol of Christ long before the modern cross. Early romans had "the Christian cross" on their shields, because they combined greek letters Chi and Rho (Chi looks like an x, rho looks like a p, see?) which were the first letters in Jesus and Christ, respectively. So the letter X is a symbol of Christ that predates Catholicism.

    The problem is that people don't know that they're using a symbol of Christ, they think they're cutting Him out. But actually they are not. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, click here, this one should work to see the picture of the old greek Chi and Rho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four is my favorite. Sorry, Barb. ;)

    ReplyDelete